http://www.jadedragonredphoenix.com/

Sunday, March 27, 2011

CBS SUNday Morning Quilt Business


My husband's favorite show on television is CBS Sunday Morning. He has been recording it for years hoping to watch all of the shows, eventually. The image used for transitioning from one segment of the show to another is a sun. Some of these images are reallllly cool, everything from sculptures to paintings, to photography. I contacted CBS. They told me that they get the sun images from every conceivable source. Sometimes the viewers send them in. Can you hear my head whirring with ideas? I had just recently gotten into quilting and, so, in honor of my husband, I got the idea to make a quilt square with a sun design incorporated into it. I sent the quilt square image to CBS and they wrote the nicest note, which follows:

From: Frank, Jessica A. [mailto:JAF@cbsnews.com]
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 3:24 PM
To: d.e.springer@att.net
Subject: Your sun art

Dear Ms. Springer,

Thanks so much for sending me the print of your sun quilt square. It's absolutely delightful, and definitely something that we might very well use at the end of one of our pieces. I've forwarded it on to our graphic artist, who will record it in our still store system. As you know, we are constantly looking for suns which complement the end of our pieces either visually or contextually, and yours could definitely do both.

I will try to let you know when and if we use your sun, although sometimes we choose the suns until right before we air. If that's the case, I'll be happy to send you a copy of the show.

Our sun collection grows larger and more varied every day, thanks to the talent and thoughtfulness of our viewers.

Thanks again for thinking of us.

Sincerely,

Jessica Frank

Sun Coordinator

CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood


As you can see from the date on that email, I submitted the block image four years ago. When I received the email, my first thought was, "Nice letter but they probably send a similar one to everyone who submits a sun design and it actually ends up in File 13." Well, to my surprise, they used the design almost immediately afterwards. To date, the quilt image has appeared on CBS Sunday Morning on at least a half dozen occasions that I, personally, have seen. What inspired today's blog -- it appeared, again, this morning!! What is amazing is that there is no contact from CBS, no advance notification, no credits, nada. Do I care? NOT. Am I amazed? surprised? delighted? honored??? duh. YESSSSSSSSSSSS.

11 comments:

  1. This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content and images as well! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. you go, girl !

    like I said before, you have your name in selvedge - things can only go up from here !!!!!

    =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for the lovely comments, for taking the time to read my thoughts as well as the time to respond. HUGE-ly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First - LOVE the sun! Second, wow you are a rock star with your sun featured on Sunday Morning. I always wondered where they got all those suns. Now I'll know to look for yours. Way cool, Dianne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kiss kiss. How is your trip going?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a search to see where they got the sun images on the show. It led me to your blog. I must tell you that I gasped out loud when I saw your quilt image. I do like it when they show the images over again. Hubby and I try to keep track of the ones we've seen before. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. What a great inspiration to other artists that want to get their work promoted by Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to FaceBook I saw this wonderful quilt. I too love suns and stars! A question from a quilter (Me) is this done with foundation (paper) piecing? Stunning. but the fabrics are what give it the impact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alma Lou,
      Thank you so much for your comments.
      This quilt block was just done by "regular" piecing, no paper. Hopefully, I will get a pattern for it, soon. You are not the first to ask about this so I had betterbusy, hadn't I?

      Delete
  9. I love this. Is there a pattern I could possibly get?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diane love this block. Is there a way to get a pattern? PLEASE :)

    ReplyDelete